General Counsel – Qatar District Cooling Company
To provide sound and well researched legal advice and expertise to Qatar Cool in order to mitigate legal concerns and risks, and resolve related problems and disputes. To develop systems, processes and procedures for effective implementation of legal requirements and adopt a pro-active approach to manage Qatar Cool’s legal activities to ensure regulatory compliance.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Develop and execute long-term strategic plan of the department in alignment with Qatar Cool’s corporate strategy.
- Develop annual business plans for the department to achieve financial and strategic objectives.
- Report to the CEO on the progress of activities against annual business plans and other business opportunities, etc. as required, to support decision-making.
- Manage and continuously monitor department’s performance to ensure deviations from target are identified in a timely manner, and required resources and actions are deployed to meet performance targets.
- Act as legal counsel to the senior management to ensure that legal implications of business decisions are appropriately considered and that Qatar Cool’s operations are compliant with local and international legal and regulatory obligations.
- Review and advice on a wide range of documents and agreements relating to commercial, corporate, constitutional, statutory and operational work from a legal perspective.
- Lead the drafting of contract templates (consultancy, intellectual properties right contract, confidentiality agreements, procurement of goods and services, procurement guidelines, etc.) in both long and short formats in order to enhance the contractual process.
- Assist departments in deciding whether the regulatory framework has been complied with and, in cases of non-compliance, recommend appropriate actions.
Legal and Regulatory Compliance Strategy and Programs
- Lead the development and implementation of a legal and regulatory compliance strategy, plans and programs across Qatar Cool that seeks to enable the Qatar Cool to deliver on its growth and expansion agenda.
- Lead and direct the development of a culture of prudent risk-taking and heighten awareness and use of advanced risk assessment and due diligence practices through internal policy, training process and legal counsel with the Qatar Cool senior management, department heads and employees.
- Oversee the delivery of regular awareness sessions for employees on legal and compliance matters to ensure compliance with internal policy and firm compliance with relevant laws and regulatory requirements.
Legal and regulatory Compliance Framework
- Oversee the development, implementation and continuous review of an organization-wide legal and regulatory compliance framework in order to ensure appropriate legal and regulatory compliance risk assessment, monitoring and evaluation is administered within QC.
- Ensure that policies, processes and procedures pertaining to legal and regulatory compliance matters are continuously reviewed to ensure that Qatar Cool has appropriate and effective methodologies to assess and manage risk exposure, and to identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Oversee and review all major litigation and dispute resolution activities, and lead major legal negotiations so as to protect the interests of Qatar Cool at all times.
- Review litigation and investigation reports to ensure that they are prepared timely and accurately in accordance with internal policy, and in compliance with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Oversee litigation activity, either through in-house capability or through appointed external legal counsel, to ensure effective representation of Qatar Cool during legal proceedings and that adequate preparation for investigations has taken place to protect the firm against potential risks.
- Provide legal counselling to the board of directors, chairman of the board, CEO and other senior management on a broad range of legal and compliance matters in order to ensure risk mitigation and improvement of efficiency.
- Review contracts before signature by authorized signatories to ensure contracts and agreements are compliant.
- Network and nurture business relationships with key lawyers in the country and use this network to identify appropriate outside lawyers when required by Qatar Cool.
- Provide accurate briefing to outside lawyers on assigned legal issues to monitor and supervise the work done by outside lawyers.
- Ensure effective risk management and controls are established, functioning and maintained to achieve objectives and manage risks in each department.
- Ensure that employees within the department are aware of and able to demonstrate effective operation of controls and relevant compliance.
- Lead the management of change of any legal initiatives through continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account ‘international leading practice’, and changes in the business environment in order to improve business performance and operational excellence.
Policies, Systems, Processes and Procedures
- Lead the development and implementation of departmental policies, procedures and controls in order to ensure that activities are conducted in line with relevant procedural/regulatory requirements, and ensure optimum business operations.
- Ensure compliance with regulation and company’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all legal departmental reports are completed in a comprehensive, accurate and timely manner, and comply with international principles and standards, and Qatar Cool’s requirements.
- Present regular and ad-hoc management reports related to the department, provide recommendations to the CEO on new opportunities, highlight critical issues and challenges, and provide strategic insight to ensure effective decision-making.
|Job Location:||Doha, Qatar|
|Nationality:||United Arab Emirates; Austria; Australia; Belgium; Bahrain; Canada; Switzerland; Germany; Djibouti; Denmark; Algeria; Egypt; Spain; Finland; France; Great Britain (UK); Greece; Ireland; Iraq; Iceland; Italy; Jordan; Comoros; Kuwait; Lebanon; Luxembourg; Libya; Morocco; Mauritania; Netherlands; Norway; New Zealand; Oman; Portugal; Palestine; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; Sudan; Sweden; Somalia; Syria; Tunisia; United Kingdom; United States; Yemen|